Oof, it has been a while. Let me sum up what I’ve been up to these past few months:
I bought a house! (and moved!)
The election sent me into a total tail spin and I basically had a week long panic attack.
Covid numbers are sky rocketing and boy am I freaked out.
So here we are. Back in a self imposed quarantine, holed up with my furry critters. Thanksgiving is a little over a week away, and in order to be able to see my parents and celebrate safely, we are all quarantining in preparation. I am still anxious, but we are doing the best we can. Four of us should be ok so long as we quarantine ourselves as required leading up to the holiday.
So let’s see, what frugal things have I been up to lately?
- I have found all of the things I needed for my house from either family members, Goodwill, my local buy nothing group, or for free on NextDoor. I am determined not to just run over to Target to buy these things (cheese grater, peeler, ice cream scoop etc). Giving a second life to an already loved home item makes me very happy. It takes a little longer to acquire what I need occasionally, but I’m ok with that.
- I combined two random leftovers to make a delicious dinner. I had some sushi rice from my Chinese takeout last week and I had a single serving of veggie soup in the fridge that needed eating. So I added the rice to the soup to bulk it up and it was definitely tasty, as well as feeding me for two additional meals.
- I ordered my cat food to be delivered monthly through Chewy. My old man kitty requires a pretty standard diet, but since I’m trying my hardest not to leave the house, I have been going through Chewy to get his food. Setting it up to auto deliver every 8 weeks saves me about $8 a bag. (I’ve done the math and know down to the day how long it will take us to go through a bag)
- I am a little late to the bread baking game, but I have started baking something new once a week just to learn. So far I’ve tried cinnamon rolls and garlic herb dinner rolls. Both were super fun to make, and very enjoyable to eat! I don’t know that it will save me a bundle, but it’s a hobby that feeds me (and others!) and keeps my mind actively engaged.
- My library system opened up again back in the summer for pick up appointments. Still no browsing, but I was delighted to be able to go pick up books again. Today sadly, they emailed again halting all library services until we can get our local Covid numbers back under control. I totally get it and want them to be sad, but I’m admittedly a little sad to lose the chance to pick up library books. That being said, my mom and I have PLENTY of books among us to share and read. So I won’t be bored, I just love love love my library.
- I got my flu shot back in early September, and I’ve stocked up on cold medicine and everything I could think that I would need to get through this cold wintery season. As someone who is immune compromised, I have to be extra cautious. I have a happily full larder and we really don’t need anything. Especially now that I’m making bread goodies on my own! I can have produce delivered as needed, but otherwise I have all the food I should need to last for 2-3 months.
It’s a scary place we find ourselves. Covid is running rampant and hospitals are begging people to stay home. So we are doing our part. My dogs can play in the yard, we can go for walks, but we don’t NEED to go anywhere. We will do our part. Stay safe my friends.