Right now is that weird in-between stage. Certainly it’s fall. The leaves are turning. The air has a crispness to it that summer lacks. And it gets cold overnight. Not necessarily freezing, but definitely down in the 40s.
It would be so easy for me to turn on the heat and call it a day. But I don’t. I absolutely love this time of year, and I love keeping my window open to smell the fresh air and let in the breeze. This tends to make the house a little cooler than perhaps I would prefer, especially in the middle of the night. In order to enjoy the weather without turning on your heater (and thus costing your hard earned money) here are some steps I take to keep warm during this glorious in-between stage!
1) Cozy socks! I don’t know about you, but one of life’s greatest pleasures is a pair of super soft, big slouchy socks. I have a few pairs from an ill fated trip to Massachusetts last year (at least it ended with warm socks!) that I just can’t imagine life without now! If you are hanging out at home, put on those fuzzy socks, hang out in sweat pants and put on a big fuzzy sweater. Something about being so cozy is just such a treat! And the softer the better while we’re at it.
2) Warm beverages. I literally have a cup of tea/coffee/cider/cocoa in hand at all times during fall. If i’m not home I have it in a travel mug. Warming myself from the inside out is just a small way to put a smile on my face.
3) Pets! Do you have pets? I have a few. (Ok we have four total. 3 big dogs and one scrawny cat.) And let me tell you, snuggling with pets is a great way to stay warm. Perhaps not so much if you have fish or a reptile (though I’m sure your lizard would appreciate your body warmth) but dogs and cats, or really anything fuzzy, are excellent sources of warmth in cooler months. My boys love to hang out on the couch on or under blankets with me. They keep me warm and I don’t feel so desperate to turn on the heat!
4) Blankets. All the blankets. I put extra blankets on the beds, couch, kitchen chairs, even the bar stools! I move from place to place and pick up blankets all over the house! It may sound silly but I love it. Granted, I work from home so this is easily applicable to me, but even when I worked in a traditional office setting I had a blanket at my desk.
5) Fire! Ok, to clarify, I’m not advocating that you set your living room on fire. But do you have a fireplace? Or a wood burning stove? These can be excellent sources of warmth, as well as general coziness, during cooler months. Consider sitting closet to the source of warmth while reading, writing, or even checking emails on a tablet.
There are so many ways to keep warm without turning on your heater and throwing money out the window. I love love love crisp fall days and i definitely like to keep my window open to let the fresh air in. But I’m always cold, so I have always been creative in my efforts to keep myself warm. If you have to turn on a heater, may I suggest a space heater? That way you are only heating your bedroom or kitchen instead of the whole house? You can only be in one place at a time after all! Other ideas include take a hot shower, go for a run or do something physically active, cook, leave the oven open after baking, wearing a few extra layers, or moving to Hawaii 😉
How do you keep warm during these goofy in-between months?